Early last month we made it to an important milestone – our first full year in business! Even with the complications of COVID, we feel we’ve achieved something.
We started Baukultur with a clear purpose. To give life to the insights that arise when design thinking inspires our collective imaginations. To use ‘design thinking’ to create built environments that have enduring cultural, social, environmental and economic value. And to do this collaboratively with our clients and communities.
But it’s one thing to aspire to something. It’s another thing to put it into practice.
We’re pleased to say that we feel we’re well on the way.
Our first-year highlights have been:
- Designing and securing planning approval for the Entrepreneur and Innovation Centre at Lot Fourteen for Renewal SA. We wish Quintessential Equity and their design delivery team all the best.
- Introducing design thinking to the formative stages of projects through business cases, including among others the Adelaide Concert Hall and Justice Sector initiatives. It’s always been our belief that design thinking has a critical role at the inception of projects, even before we put pen to paper. We will continue to advocate for this.
- Revisiting the strategic planning of Adelaide’s most recognised precinct, Karrawirra Pari (the Riverbank) through the lens of its purpose, identity and millennia-old indigenous history – more on that soon
Other highlights have been:
- Making the final shortlist of 18 for the Barangaroo Pier Pavilion design competition out of 178 entries (congrats also to the other SA practice who made the final – Tridente Boyce)
- Seeing the completion of work from our Hassell days, including recognition for the Salisbury Community Hub at the SA Chapter AIA Awards and the rapid expansion of the terminal at Adelaide Airport which is due for completion in 2022
- Working on our first residential project and
- Just enjoying our wonderful studio in the Darling Building
Most of all though, we’ve made some delightful new connections, and enjoyed the enthusiastic encouragement of many old friends – we couldn’t have done this without your support and engagement.
We’re looking forward to our second year and using our skills as designers to provide even more focussed, strategic and uplifting outcomes in the built environments in which we live.